The Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral) is a baroque Cathedral built between 1894 and 1905. It is located on an island in the river Spree, also known as the Museum Island. The current building is the third church built at this location.
During the Second World War, the building was hit by a fire bomb which severely damaged much of the Cathedral. A temporary roof was installed to protect what remained of the interior and, despite plans by the East German government to demolish the building, in 1975 reconstruction of the church started.
The restoration of the interior begun in 1984 and in 1993 the church reopened. It was consecrated for the second time in 1996. During reconstruction, the original design was modified into a more simplified form. The Hohenzollern mausoleum that was located at the north side of the building was removed in the process.
It is interesting to note that on April 10, 1935, Adolf Hiltler was the first witness to Herrman Goring wedding in the Berliner Dom.
Leave a Comment
Return to Recent Comments